POSITION TITLE: Administrative Assistant
REPORTS TO: Alfredo Romo, N4EJ Executive Director
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
LOCATION: Hybrid (based in Chicago, IL)
ABOUT NEIGHBORS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
Neighbors for Environmental Justice educates, advocates for and organizes our community around environmental justice issues on the southwest side of Chicago. We believe environmental justice cannot be separated from racial justice, and so we align and advocate to support the larger struggle for justice in all the forms it takes.
The Administrative Assistant will provide organizational and administrative support to the general organizational operations of N4EJ. Working under the direct supervision of the Executive Director (ED), this position will provide organizational support and will be responsible for organizational management and administrative support tasks as assigned by the Executive Director. N4EJ is looking to find an administrative assistant who is eager to support and grow a young organization focused on Chicago and Illinois environmental justice issues with the possibility to grow and expand their skills in the organization as well. N4EJ is seeking a skilled administrative assistant with the following duties, responsibilities, and skills:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Management of google drive/workspace organization
- Assist in ensuring compliance of 501c3 status
- Support and oversight of administrative procedures for reporting of compliance materials
- Organizational Finances
- Assist ED with budget management and grant management including cash flow budget report and grant calendar
- Coordination of staff requests for funds and reimbursements
- Assist accountant and ED with the timely completion of banking and payroll responsibilities
- Assist in handling contracts, software subscriptions, organizational expenses
- Assist with internal and external correspondence
- Read and respond to the organization email account in a timely manner
- Follow up with officers on behalf of ED
- Assist ED in corresponding with community and coalition partners
- Assist in scheduling meetings for ED and respond to scheduling requests in a timely manner
- Maintain organization calendar of group and team meetings
- Assist ED in keeping track of grant deadlines and deliverables
- Attend and support meetings with officers, board, and unified calls
- Assist in preparation of materials for the board of directors
- Assist in noting agenda items for meetings and notetaking
- Social Media
- Monitor N4EJ social media accounts and respond to message inquiries
- Publish content promoting N4EJ events and organizational activities
- Schedule media events on N4EJ social media platforms
- Comfortable working in a small team setting
- Able to prioritize tasks under competing deadlines
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Proficiency with Excel and GSuite or comparable software
- Proficiency with Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Google Meets
(Desired but not required skills)
- Grant writing
- Experience promoting content on social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
The salary range for this position would be $42,000, with an additional $5,000 healthcare stipend. The position is expected to not exceed 40 hours per week, but weeknight and weekend support will be required on occasion and hours can be flexible. This position will also be provided with a computer purchased by the organization.
The Administrative Assistant will receive paid time off for Illinois public holidays as well as Juneteenth. When holidays fall on a weekend, the Administrative Assistant and any future employees will be allowed to take the Friday before or Monday after, as agreed upon. The Administrative Assistant will have 20 days of paid time off to be used for sick leave, vacation or personal days. If additional time off is needed that will need to be negotiated with the Executive Director. A maximum of 5 days can be rolled over to the next year. Yearly PTO will start August 1st of each year.
HOW TO APPLY & OTHER INFORMATION
To apply for the internship, applicants must:
- Complete the online application survey on this form: https://forms.gle/FtPTBRCaKjTtcdrA9
- Submit a resume and a brief statement (1 page max) of why you are interested in this position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Priority deadline for this position is August 26, 2022.
This position is expected to start in September 2022 but is flexible on availability of the finalist.
Questions about the application process can be submitted to info@N4EJ.org.